Font Size: AAA | Sitemap | Hours & location | Contact Us | Translate »

Feeder Canal

Venues & Facilities

After the Feeder Canal officially opened on November 14, 1829, engineers immediately realized the potential of using the feeder canal as a viable trade route. The feeder canal is a 40 km channel dug to bring water from the Grand River to the Welland Canal. In the 1840's, the feeder canal was enlarged and in the early 1900's it was used as a shipping canal. There are still some remains today of the junction lock when the Feeder Canal met the Welland Canal.